Practicing good oral hygiene is the easiest way to keep the gums healthy.
The following tips can help a person maintain good oral hygiene:
- brush the teeth for at least 120 seconds twice daily or more often
- floss every day
- rinse the mouth with a product containing fluoride once or twice daily
- rinse or brush after consuming sugary foods or drinks
- replace toothbrushes or toothbrush heads every few months or when they look worn
- exercise for at least 30 minutes a day
- visit a dentist regularly
- avoid smoking or using tobacco products
It is also important to eat a healthful, balanced diet. This should involve plenty of whole fruits, vegetables, and grains. The diet should include good sources of iron, such as lentils, chickpeas, beans, and lean meats.